Wednesday, August 19, 2015

corporate culture

The term "corporate culture" popped up in every college management class I ever had.  It was a buzz word.  At least a few years ago.  And the Navy had it's own distinct corporate culture in the 80s.

Most junior enlisted men were under the age of 25.  After a person worked their way up to a more senior paygrade.  And was into his or her 30s, they were considered more mature.  And less prone to do immature stupid stuff an 18 year old, or 23 year old were prone to do.  There is a lot of truth to this.  And as a general rule I have no problem with this.

However, this mindset was used to try and bully me into getting married to Lisa Morris.  Which is an unprofessional distortion of this supervision of junior paygrade  mindset which was prevelant when I was a junior enlisted man.

I was subjected to this mindset that those over me in the chain of command knew how I should be living life better than I did myself.  And thus, I needed to just submit to their superior life experience, and marry Lisa Morris.

And obviously I reject this premise that a young man, or anyone, should be forced to marry someone they do not want to.

If someone has every seen the A&E network series "The First 48", in which real life homicide detectives are followed around by TV cameras, they have seen real life homicide suspects in interview rooms with homicide detectives peppering them with questions.  Trying to catch them in a lie.  This is what I felt like in the months I was called over to hangar 282 to be screwed with over Lisa Morris.  Only unlike many of the homicide suspects on "The First 48"  I was telling the complete unvarnished truth over and over and over to the point that I started to get pissed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment