Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Kansas City AFEES

Went up to the Kansas City AFEES (armed forces entrance and examination station) to take my physical and enlist.  So the day I enlisted, February 26th, 1982, there was a situation that unfolded.
As I have previously posted here, I had very poor personal hygiene.  Didn't shower or brush my teeth regular.  So obviously the recruiters there in Kansas City were bad mouthing me behind my back.  When I signed my contract, a first class petty officer (E6) walks up to me, and starts hollarin at me about bein a "shit bird".  Which I found out later was navy slang for a dirtbag, or loser.  Of course I just sit there and take it off him.  But obviously someone there got pissed, and obviously he got wrote up, or put on report.  Now usually things didn't happen this fast.  But the guy comes up to me within an hour or 2 wearing a 2nd class petty officer crow (E5).  His commanding officer was right behind him.  An army Lieutenant colonel.  And the guy apologized to me.  I said something like no big deal.  And I was serious as I expected to get my ass chewed in the navy.      

No comments:

Post a Comment