Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Dr Kenneth Knabb

I was maybe 6 or 7 when this happened.  Our family physician was Dr Kenneth Knabb.  And mom was forced to see him.  Probably thru my dad's work at school.  Or perhaps by the court.  Anyway, I am brought along.  I was taken everywhere with her.  Perhaps because of my young age, or perhaps as her whipping boy for when she had a rageaholic meltdown.  I got the feeling mom sensed the upcoming confrontation.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was coming.  So the receptionist tells mom she is not permitted to bring me back with her.  Mom starts saying she will as my legal guardian.  Again the receptionist says no, I am not to be taken in with mom to see Dr Knabb.  They go back and forth a few minutes, until mom finally relents.  And mom goes back to see Dr Knabb, and I remain in the waiting area.  Then a nurse opens the door to the waiting room and tells me to come with her.  I resist as I think this may provoke a beating.  At this point I have taken enough beatings, I am walking on egg shells, and suspect almost anything will trigger mom's meltdowns.  Which is true sometimes.  So eventually I relent.  And the nurse locks us in an exam room.

Eventually I hear mom fly into one of her rages.  Obviously because Dr Knabb has confronted her about her rageaholic meltdowns, and resulting hard core child abuse.  I hear her screaming at the receptionist as to my location.  And hear the receptionist reply "### is safe".  I then hear mom roaming thru the suite opening all the doors.  And eventually tries the examination room where the nurse and I are in.  So mom figures this is where I must be.  So mom starts pounding on the door in a rage.  Meanwhile the nurse in the room with me repeats to mom thru the door over and over, "### is safe".  Eventually mom's rage subsides.  And we exit the exam room.  And I end up in the room with mom and Dr Knabb.  And I still think I could get a beating at any second.  Dr Knabb tells mom how she "must control herself around her children".  Mom shakes her fist at him.  Dr Knabb hands mom a prescription.  Possibly for some qualude type drug.  Mom throws it in the trash can.  Dr Knabb tells her she "has no choice".  And hands her another prescription.  Mom throws that one in the trash too.  So Dr Knabb tells mom he will write a letter to the State Dept of Social Services.  Or whatever it is called back then.

I played 7th and 8th grade football.  And had to get a physical to play.  So we go to Dr Knabb.  This is around 7 or 8 years after the confrontation at Dr Knabbs office.  So again we are in the reception area, mom is told I am going back by myself.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out I will be questioned outside of mom's presence.  So mom pulls her "legal guardian" argument again.  This time it works.  And mom goes back with me.  So before the football physical begins Dr Knabb asks me how mom's temper is.  And of course I am smart enough to figure out if I tell the truth my home life will go in the toilet.  I had not gotten my ass kicked in a few years.  By this time I am at least as big as mom.  And could resist.  Looking back, mom would only attack me when I was too small to defend myself.  So I tell Dr Knabb, "I don't know".  So he looks at mom and asks her "how is your temper?".  Mom gets an angry look on her face and shakes her fist at him.  S Dr Knabb decides he is going to try and force me to snitch.  And says he may fail me on my football physical.  I say something like "you gotta do what ya gotta do".  So Dr Knabb realizes he has failed in this attempt to incriminate mom.  And gives/passes me on my football physical.              

No comments:

Post a Comment